7th July 2017
Roast sirloin of beef
- preparation time : 10 Mins
- cook time : 1 to 2 hours 30 mins
- serves : 6
Gary Rhodes' delicious, succulent roast beef dish is perfect for all occasions or an alternative Christmas Day roast. Just four ingredients
By Gary Rhodes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or beef fat
- 1-1½kg/2lb 4-3lb 5oz sirloin of beefjoint
- 1 glass red wine
- 400g can beefconsommé
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat the oil or fat in a large fl ameproof roasting tin in the oven for 5-10 mins. Season the beef all over.
- Place the joint fat-side down in the roasting tin and put it on the hob. Sizzle to release some of the fat, then turn the beef in the fat to seal and colour it all over, about 5 mins. The joint can now be roasted, fat-side up, allowing 10-15 mins per 450g for medium-rare, 15-20 mins per 450g for medium, 20-25 mins for medium-well and 25-30 mins for well done. Turn the joint halfway through its cooking time for an even roast. Once roasted, remove the beef from the pan and leave to one side, loosely covered with foil, to rest for 15-20 mins.
- Meanwhile, pour off any excess fat from the roasting tin, then put the tin on a medium heat on top of the stove. Once it begins to sizzle, pour in the red wine, allowing it to boil rapidly until almost completely evaporated. Tip in the consommé and allow to simmer for 4-5 mins. This will give a light sauce, rather than a gravy (see tip, below). Simmer for a few more mins before straining through a sieve for the smoothest of fi nishes. Carve the beef into thick slices, offering the gravy separately.